Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Did a 5km run today

Went to Nanyang Polytechnic running track. Was trying to see if I can do 5km in 25 minutes which is the criteria for joining the MR25 running group. That means 5 minutes per km or 12km/hr speed.

For the first 2km I was able to stay above 12km/hr speed but was very taxing. Was not able to maintain at that speed going into the 3rd km. So ended up running at my usual cruising speed around 9.6km/hr. At the last 400km, I speed up and only manage to hit max speed of 16.6km/hr.

Overall pace for this 5km run is 5.5 minute per km or 10.9km/hr speed which is way too low to qualify for the MR25 running group (not that I want to join this groujp but just want to have a feel of how difficult it is). Completed the 5km in 27:48 minutes.

Interesting to note that when I reduce my running speed after 2km to slow down my heart-rate, my cadence actually went up. Which means that when I run faster in the first 2km, I am not making full use of Pose method but was 'pushing' more instead of 'pulling' the legs. At the slower cruising speed eventhough my cadence went up, it is lighter and easy to run (pulling instead of pushing) leading to a drop in heart rate. Need to continue to improve on my running techinque.

No comments: